Everett Municipal Court
March 18, 2013
City of Everett
EXAMINATION / EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
$3668 - $4465/month plus benefits
(FIVE-STEP SALARY RANGE)
The City of Everett is currently accepting applications for the position of JUDICIAL ASSISTANT with the Everett Municipal Court. This is a technical support position working under the direction of the Court Administrator. Union membership is required within 30 days of hire and an extensive background check will be conducted, including fingerprinting.
Under the direction of the Court Administrator, incumbents in this job class perform a wide variety of technical record keeping and clerical duties using automated systems in support of the Everett Municipal Court. These duties include, but are not limited to, processing forms, court orders, and other documentation for court cases from origin to final disposition; assisting the public by explaining court procedures and the judicial system; maintaining accounting, legal, and financial records; and filing and monitoring a variety of functions such as civil, criminal, and traffic violations. Judicial Assistants are expected to work with reasonable discretion within established guidelines.
· Modern office practices, procedures, and equipment.
· Modern office equipment.
· Basic municipal court operations, procedures, and documentation.
· Specialized legal language unique to a municipal court.
· Laws, policies, and procedures pertinent to the area of assignment.
Skill and Ability to:
· Maintain accurate records and plan, organize, and prioritize several work functions simultaneously.
· Maintain complex records and meet deadlines of completed reports and calendars.
· Type a net of 45 wpm.
· Communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
· Deal courteously and effectively with a diverse public who at times may be emotionally distraught, irate, intoxicated, or confrontational.
· Work in a team environment.
· Work in an office environment with a significant amount of standing and bending.
· Work rotating shifts, evenings, and various job assignments.
· Maintain confidentiality.
· Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with co-workers, supervisors, other city staff, and the public.
· Relate to others in a courteous and respectful manner.
· Support diversity and multicultural understanding.
· Maintain a work environment free of discrimination, harassment, and retaliation.
· Work safely and in compliance with federal and state laws and regulations, and with City laws, policies, and standards.
· High school diploma, GED, or equivalent AND
· Two (2) years of general office support experience that included heavy public contact and computer use in a court or related organization.
· College course work in criminal justice, paralegal studies, pre-law, or a closely related field is highly desirable.
· Submission to and successful completion of an extensive background investigation will be required prior to appointment.
· Must type at least 45 words per minute (net). Certification of typing speed and accuracy is required.
· Possession of, or the ability to obtain within 30 days of hire, a valid Washington State Driver License.
· Required to work rotating shifts, evenings, and various job assignments.
· Spanish language proficiency is desirable.
· Repetitive motion, sitting for extended periods of time, and occasionally lifting up to 65 pounds.
SCREENING PROCESS/APPLICATION DEADLINE
All interested applicants are required to submit the following: (1) the standard City of Everett employment application form, specifically detailing how they meet the Eligibility and Special Requirements, (2) a cover letter; and (3) a résumé no more than two pages in length. Certification of typing speed and accuracy (45 net wpm) is required by the application deadline (see attached typing certification instructions). All application materials will be reviewed and evaluated against the position requirements, and a limited number of individuals will be invited to continue in the screening process prior to a hiring decision. Application materials may be obtained from the City of Everett Human Resources Dept., 2930 Wetmore Ave., Suite 5A, Everett, WA 98201; (425) 257-8768, Toll Free (800) 458-7630, or the City website at www.everettwa.org. Application materials must be received by 5:00 p.m., Monday, March 18, 2013. LATE, INCOMPLETE,FAXED, OR EMAILED APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
FILING OPENS: March 4, 2013 FILING CLOSES: March 18, 2013
The City of Everett requires new hires to establish identity and employment authorization in accordance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986. THE CITY OF EVERETT VALUES A DIVERSE WORKFORCE. THE CITY DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF SEX, DISABILITY, RACE, COLOR, CREED, OR NATIONAL ORIGIN.