OPENING DATE/TIME: 03/07/13 12:00 AM (GMT -8:00)
CLOSING DATE/TIME: 03/21/13 04:30 PM (GMT -8:00)
SALARY: $33.20 - $42.09 Hourly $2,656.00 - $3,367.20 Biweekly
LOCATION: Multiple locations in King County
JOB TYPE: Career Service, Full Time, 40 hrs/week
DIVISION: Department of Judicial Administration
JOB NUMBER: 2013JF02943
The Department of Judicial Administration (DJA), also known as the Superior Court Clerk, is an innovative, forward-looking agency using technology to help perform tasks better, more efficiently and reliably. DJA performs a variety of services for the Court, litigants and the general public. DJA’s mission is to provide professional, high-quality Superior Court record services and justice system programs, while ensuring access to justice and integrity in the process.
DJA is seeking a Supervisor for the Case Management Section at our Maleng Regional Justice Center Division who is an organized, customer focused, teamwork oriented leader with both interest and skill in improving processes and inspiring others to succeed.
The MRJC supervisor reports directly to the division manager and supervises approximately 30 staff responsible for case and document processing, case management, and in-court record keeping and exhibit management.
WHO MAY APPLY: This position is open concurrently to all King County employees and the general public.
WORK LOCATION: This position is based at the Maleng Regional Justice Center, 401 4th Ave N., Room 2C, Kent, WA 98031, but this position may be required to attend meetings or perform duties at any of our other locations (King County Courthouse located at 516 3rd Ave. Seattle, WA or the Juvenile Clerk’s Office located at 1211 East Alder St., Seattle, WA).
WORK SCHEDULE: This position is exempt from the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act, and is not overtime-eligible. This position is paid on a bi-weekly schedule, every other Thursday, comprising a 40-hour workweek; normally 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. This position may be required to work extended and/or flex scheduled work hours to respond to service needs.
ADDITIONAL MATERIALS REQUIRED: A resume, letter of interest and answers to the supplemental questions are required in addition to your application. The Letter of Interest should detail your background and describe how you meet or exceed the requirements listed in this job announcement. (This will be used as a writing sample).
Please note that you can attach multiple documents to your application. Your options are:
*Copy and paste one or more documents into the text resume section of the application.
*Attach multiple documents/files in the resume attachment section.
SELECTION PROCESS: Applicationsd will be screened for qualifications, clarity and completeness. The most competitive applicants may be invited to an interview.
Contact information: Please direct questions about this recruitment to Joy Fernandes at 206-205-8324.
This position oversees the daily operations and work assignments of approximately 30 staff in the Case Management section of the Maleng Regional Justice Center Division. Job duties include:
- Supervisory responsibilities: Recommend hiring and train new employees. Review and evaluate employee job performance providing the feedback needed to allow employees to consistently perform at their best. Provide mentoring and coaching to develop employees and provide opportunities for continued learning. Recommend and/or initiate disciplinary action when needed to correct behavior. Provide praise and recognition for a job well done. Assign and monitor section tasks providing direction, setting clear expectations about accuracy and pace of work, and setting priorites. Provide technical expertise to internal staff and also as a liaison to other agencies.
- Daily operations: Ensure adherence to all policies, standards, and procedures. Oversee the data entry requirements for the Superior Court Management Information System (SCOMIS) and the Electronic Court Records (ECR) system. Effectively assign clerks to cover all matters heard at the MRJC.
- Collaborate with managers and supervisors: Facilitate and participate in meetings. Volunteer for or be an active participant in special project assignments and miscellaneous workgroups and committees. Coordinate and collaborate with managers and other section supervisors to solve problems and keep each other informed about section activities.
- Customer Focused: Respond to customer inquiries both over the phone and in person. Develop solutions to business problems that take the customer needs into account. Lead by example in meeting customer expectations.
EXPERIENCE, QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS:
- At least 4 years of experience in increasingly responsible job assignments
- Working knowledge of MS Word Office suite
- Solid working knowledge of court procedures and legal terminology
- Demonstrated strong and effective communication skills, including listening, writing and speaking one-on-one and in group settings.
- Demonstrated ability in providing effective leadership, motivation, and direction to staff
- Proven ability to multi-task, stay organized and plan to effectively meet deadlines and produce high quality work
- Demonstrated attention to detail and accuracy in work
- Ability to build effective teams and inspire others toward a common goal
- Experience working with a diverse group of people, respecting differences while building a solid work group
- Knowledge of process management and experience improving processes
- Experience developing and effectively maintaining relationships with others to get the job done, solve problems, and cooperate to develop solutions.
- Minimum four years of experience in the areas listed above (or) substituting a degree in public or business administration or a related field plus 2 years of experience (or) any equivalent combination of education and experience that provides the knowledge and experience to meet the job requirements.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: No felony convictions in the last ten years. The selected candidate may be required to pass a background investigation.