Judges, not unlike clerks, are leery of change when it comes to the handy, tried-and-true paper case files. But maintaining those files is expensive and labor intensive. The County Clerk made the commitment to the Superior Court that if the judges would go to paperless files, the County Clerk would secure a solution, with their full involvement, that would be easier and more useful than existing paper files. AND, the County Clerk would pay for it. The solution chosen was aiSmartBench by Mentis Technology.
The two main benefits of adopting aiSmartBench are aimed at the Superior Court Judges and the County Clerk equally:
1) aiSmartBench will allow the Clerk's Office to go to "paper on demand" and eliminate the expense of maintaining paper case files. The cost of the file folder covers alone is $12,000-15,000 per year. One to two file clerks no longer needed will be able to do other tasks to help make up for the six staff eliminated over the last 5 years through budget reductions.
2) Superior Court Judges and staff will have access to all imaged court case files at any time 24/7 from any internet connection anywhere in a form easier and quicker to use than existing paper files. In addition, all case files will be content searchable and many other tools now only available on paper or in other applications will be available on one central screen at any time.
aiSmartBench is architected to integrate into existing document and case management systems leveraging a jurisdiction's current investments without requiring complex system integrations. Further, transfer from the existing SCOMIS case management system to a new state system in the future will be seamless to the judges.
Implementation of aiSmartBench into the Kitsap environment will allow our judges to securely perform high-speed, full-text searches within a particular document or across all documents for a particular reference. aiSmartBench will provide a wealth of case and related information without the encumbrances of multiple modules and multiple applications. Its unique design will streamline our judicial processes by connecting, through a single interface, to vital case and calendaring information.
Key technology components of aiSmartBench™ include:
• Full-text searching across document image content
• Indexing and extracting of business critical data
• Configurable workflow components
• Bank level security and encryption
• Work anywhere, web-enabled access