- Membership. The State Board of Health consists of ten (10) members: the Secretary of Health or the Secretary's designee and nine (9) persons appointed by the Governor. RCW 43.20.030.
- Chairman selected by Governor. The Governor shall select the chairman from among the appointed members. Id.
B. Powers and Duties Related to Communicable Disease Control.
- Rulemaking. In order to protect the public health, the State Board of Health shall adopt rules related to, among other topics:
- Imposition and use of isolation and quarantine;
- Prevention and control of infectious and noninfectious diseases, and the receipt and conveyance of remains of deceased persons; and other sanitary matters best controlled by universal rule. RCW 43.20.050(2)(d) and (e).
- Delegation of rulemaking authority. The State Board of Health may delegate any of its rulemaking authority to the Secretary of Health and rescind such authority. RCW 43.20.050(3).
C. Enforcement of State Board of Health Rules.
- Enforcement by public officers and employees. All local boards of health, health authorities and officials, officers of state institutions, police officers, sheriffs, constables, and all other officers and employees of the state, or any county, city, or township, shall enforce all rules adopted by the State Board of Health. RCW 43.20.050(4).
- Enforcement by local boards of health. Each local board of health shall enforce through the local health officer or the administrative officer, if any, the public health statutes of the state and rules promulgated by the State Board of Health and the Secretary of Health. RCW 70.05.060(1).
- Enforcement by local health officers. Each local health officer, acting under the direction of the local board of health or of the administrative officer, if any, shall enforce the public health statutes of the state, rules of the State Board of Health and Secretary of Health, and all local health rules, regulations and ordinances within his or her jurisdiction. RCW 70.05.070(1).