A. Social Distancing Measures.
- Examples. Social distancing measures, other than isolation and quarantine, may include:
- Closing schools and large child care centers.
- Limiting social interaction at libraries, colleges and universities.
- Closing churches, theaters and other places where crowds gather.
- Suspending large gatherings (sports events, concerts).
- Suspending government functions not dedicated to pandemic response or critical continuity. Pub. Health - Seattle & King County, Pandemic Influenza Response Plan (June 1, 2006).
- Implementation. Social distancing measures may be voluntary (recommended) or compulsory (ordered). The sources of authority could include:
- Authority of heads of political subdivisions to respond to emergencies under chapter 38.52 RCW. See supra § 2.42.
- Authority of local health officers to prevent the spread of disease under RCW 70.05.070. See supra § 3.42.B.
- Governor’s order following an emergency proclamation under
chapters 43.06 and
38.52 RCW. See supra §2.32.B.