Washington Courts: Press Release Detail
Supreme Court Launches Task Force on Civil Equal JusticeMarch 04, 2002
OLYMPIA--Launching an initiative to assess and ensure civil justice funding for the future, Washington Supreme Court Chief Justice Gerry Alexander today announced the formation of a Task Force on Civil Equal Justice Funding.
In his announcement, Alexander stated that given the state’s current fiscal crisis, funding of legal services has hit an all-time low in Washington State, “Now, more than ever, the right to equal justice needs to be protected for the poor and vulnerable.”
The Task Force chair, Justice Charles W. Johnson, will convene the first meeting on March 20th at the
Created by order of the Washington Supreme Court, the Task Force is co-chaired by Court of Appeals Judge Mary Kay Becker. The group has 19 members, including persons representing the public, Washington State Bar Association, the Governor’s Office, Washington State Legislature, and the State Office of Administrative Hearings.
During its one-year term, the Task Force is charged with the following:
· Overseeing a comprehensive study of unmet civil legal needs of the poor and vulnerable in
· Developing an analysis of and rational for long-term, sustained and permanent state funding for essential civil legal services for citizens of
· Establishing an appropriate level of funding for state supported civil legal services needed to address identified unmet needs;
· Identifying and proposing strategies to secure long-term, sustained and permanent funding to meet this need; and
· Developing recommendations for the proper administration and oversight of publicly funded civil equal justice services.
Further information regarding the Task Force is available on the Washington Courts website at www.courts.wa.gov.
CONTACTS: Chief Justice Gerry Alexander 360-357-2029; Justice Charles W. Johnson, Chair 360-357-2020.
# # # # #
TASK FORCE ON CIVIL EQUAL JUSTICE FUNDING
Washington Courts Media Contacts:
|Courts | Organizations | News | Opinions | Rules | Forms | Directory | Library|
|Back to Top | Privacy and Disclaimer Notices|