Minority and Justice Commission
Office of the Administrator for the Courts
One Union Square
September 17, 1999
Call to Order
The meeting was called to order by Ms. Myrna Contreras at 1:25 o'clock in the afternoon in Room 1718, One Union Square in Seattle.
Present at the meeting were: Ms. Myrna I. Contreras, Richard F. McDermott, Jr., Ms. Barbara J. Selberg, and Ms. Donna V. McConnell.
Persons not attending (with excused absences) were: Ms. Mary Alice Theiler, Judge Douglas W. Luna, Judge Dennis D. Yule, Judge Phillip J. Thompson, and Brian A. Tsuchida.
October Issue of Equal Justice Newsletter
The Outreach Subcommittee reviewed the articles that had been received for the upcoming October Equal Justice Newsletter.
- In regards to reviewing the Immigrant Women of Color article, the Outreach Subcommittee established that the article should include pamphlets, and other added resources. Ms. Myrna I. Contreras agreed to follow up on additional resources for this article, and would contact Judge James M. Murphy for assistance.
- Barbara Selberg agreed to follow up with information on Ms. Ruperta Alexis.
- Ms. Contreras announced that she would talk to Ms. Mary Alice Theiler, to decide who would write the summary article from "Women Judges of Color." The Outreach Subcommittee agreed by common consent that the deadline for this article would be September 30th.
- The Outreach Subcommittee discussed people to base the feature article on. The names that were discussed were: Judge Norma Huggins, Judge Judith Hightower, and Judge Veronica Simmons McBeth. The subcommittee decided that the article would be on Judge Veronica Simmons McBeth, who is the new moderator of the consortium. Ms. Contreras announced that she would request an article from Ms. Carmen Otero.
- The Outreach Subcommittee discussed the development of articles for the January 2000 conference theme. The subcommittee decided that the Deans of law schools would be asked to write articles to address how their schools are preparing to educate a multicultural student population.
- Ms. Contreras made a request for additional persons to be added to the Outreach Subcommittee. The requested individuals were: Ms. Terry Mark, and Judge Armijo. Ms. Donna V. McConnell announced that she would follow up on this request.
The meeting was adjourned at 2:45 p.m.