Minority and Justice Commission
Outreach Sub-committee Telephone Conference
December 13, 2001
12:15 - 1:15pm
In attendance: Ms. Myrna Contreras, Brian Tsuchida, Judge Douglas Luna, Judge Dennis Yule, Judge Richard F. McDermott Jr., Ms. Mary Alice Theiler, Ms. Erica S. Chung, (note-taker, Pam Miller)
A. Sub-committee Member Follow-up on Assigned Minority Bar Association
Ms. Chung reported that only one questionnaire has been received - from Jack E. Tanner Association.
Sub-committee members reported that:
Myrna Contreras/Pierce County B.A.: They committed to participating; Ms. Contreras will interview them over the phone.
Mary Alice Theiler/WSBA Committee for Diversity: They committed to participating; Ms. Theiler will interview them over the phone
Judge Yule/Hispanic B.A.: Lisa Castanon (outgoing President) had committed to participating, Hector Steele Rojas (incoming President) had just been re-faxed the questionnaire; Judge Yule will follow up with Hector and interview over the phone if necessary.
Brian Tsuchida/Filipino B.A.: Jesie Castro, the President and apparently sole member of the bar association, has not committed; Brian will try to interview over the phone.
Judge Haberly/Asian B.A.: They have committed to participating. Judge Haberly has e-mailed and Justice Smith called them.
Judge Luna/Native American B.A.: This bar association is in flux and may not be participating.
Judge Thompson/Loren Miller B.A.: Judge Thompson has tried several times to get the info from Loren Miller who committed to participating. Justice Smith has also contacted them. They are supposed to submit their response by Friday November 14.
Judge McDermott/Korean American B.A.: They have committed to participating; Judge McDermott will try to interview over the phone.
B. Person to Highlight/Profile for the Next Newsletter
Ms. Contreras will write a 'highlight' article about Ms. Pauline Garcia, AOC Court Facilitator, for this issue. Ms. Contreras will try to complete and submit the piece by 12/20.
C. WSBA Demographic Statistics
Mr. Tsuchida will write a brief article and repeat the WSBA-provided demographic statistical summary for inclusion in the current issue.
D. Future Issues
1. "Tribal Law", originally planned for publication in June 2002, is now moved up to March 2002. Judge Luna will coordinate five articles of 250-500 words, including one that Justice Owens has agreed to provide that gives an overview of tribal courts and tribal law. Judge Luna will have someone write about the U.S. Supreme Court visit and on Indian law incorporating the child support mechanism currently administered by the state. Ms. Chung and Judge Luna will discuss specifics in a phone conversation on December 6 at 10:00a.m.
2. Ms. Chung reported that Justices Johnson and Smith prefer the theme of "The Judges Speak" to "The Justices Speak" which was originally planned for March 2002. Judges from all the levels of the courts will be asked to write an article about their perspective of cultural diversity in the courts and will be scheduled for publication in June 2002. Specific questions to provide direction are:
Have you ever been in a situation where you were the minority, and how has it shaped your outlook or the way you exercise judicial discretion?
Have you experienced, observed, or been made aware of discrimination,bias or potential discrimination that made a difference or changed the way you exercise judicial discretion?
How has your personal experience with discrimination or bias shaped your outlook with respective administration of justice?
When and how did you become aware of the issue of diversity? In what ways do you believe the situation has changed or improved?
For the various levels of the courts, the following were discussed:
Supreme Court: ?
Appellate Court: Ms. Chung will call Judge Kato for his input or suggestion for contributor
Superior Court: Judge McDermott will ask Judge Fleck for a recommendation
District Court: Brian Tsuchida will follow up with Alicia Nakata of Chelan County
Municipal Court: Ms. Chung will contact Albert Raines for input or suggestion for a contributor
Appellate Review: Judge Luna will recommend someone
Administrative Law Judge: Ms. Chung will call Art Wong
3. "A Tribute to Justice Smith" will be for publication in September 2002. Still need to brainstorm for contributors.
Next Outreach Sub-committee Meeting
Participating members decided to schedule a conference call for Thursday, January 24th, 2002, from 12:15 to 1:15pm.
A. Ms. Chung will e-mail all Outreach sub-committee members to:
1. Notify members of next conference call meeting
2. Update members on responses from the various bar associations
B. Ms. Contreras will try to develop the article on Pauline Garcia by December 20.