Co-Chairs: Ms. Cheryl Bleakney; Hon. Tom Warren
Members: Ms. Suone Cotner (for Mr. John Connelly); Mr. Stephen Kim; Hon. Ken Kunes; Mr. James Macpherson; Hon. John Schultheis;
Staff: Ms. Wendy Ferrell; Ms. Julia Appel.
Members were welcomed and introduced. A discussion was held about the work group charge; the difference between the focus of the Implementation Subcommittee and the Public Education Subcommittee; and the discussion and decisions made at the January meeting of the task force chairs was reviewed. Members agreed that the Public Education Subcommittee focus centers on:
- Educating the major constituencies of the court system about the progress of the task force.
- Explaining the nature of the recommendations as they are developed.
- Informing the thinking of legislators and decision makers regarding the task force recommendations.
Members agreed on the importance of keeping all interested groups informed so that there would be a constant opportunity for input and comment. As feedback is received, it will be formulated and disseminated to the appropriate work groups. Between August and November it will be important to ensure that all constituents are supportive of the task force recommendations.
It was agreed that the task force should speak with a unified voice. To that end, all requests related to media contact should come through the Public Education Subcommittee via Wendy Ferrell. When the task force recommendations have been approved by the Board for Judicial Administration, editorial board visits for the Chief Justice and Wayne Blair should be scheduled. This should open the door for guest articles in the newspapers. It was also suggested that meetings should be scheduled with legislative committee chairs to promote the recommendations.
- Provide members with a link to the Court Funding Task Force web site.
- Edit the contact survey and provide the survey to task force committee chairs.
- Construct a database from the contacts provided.
- Finalize the major constituents contact list. Add WSTLA and ATJ contacts, and Supreme Court Justices.
- Draft an introductory notice to be sent to the major constituents.
- Continue working on the expanded constituents contact list.
The next meeting will be scheduled within two months, following progress of the other task force work groups.