Chapter 9.94A RCW
(1) When an offender is sentenced under RCW 9.94A.712, the department shall assess the offender's risk of recidivism and shall recommend to the board any additional or modified conditions of the offender's community custody based upon the risk to community safety. In addition, the department shall make a recommendation with regard to, and the board may require the offender to participate in, rehabilitative programs, or otherwise perform affirmative conduct, and obey all laws. The board must consider and may impose department-recommended conditions.
(2) The department may not recommend and the board may not impose conditions that are contrary to those ordered by the court and may not contravene or decrease court-imposed conditions. The board shall notify the offender in writing of any such conditions or modifications.
(3) In setting, modifying, and enforcing conditions of community custody, the department shall be deemed to be performing a quasi-judicial function.
(4) If an offender violates conditions imposed by the court, the department, or the board during community custody, the board or the department may transfer the offender to a more restrictive confinement status and impose other available sanctions as provided in RCW 9.95.435.
(5) By the close of the next business day, after receiving notice of a condition imposed by the board or the department, an offender may request an administrative hearing under rules adopted by the board. The condition shall remain in effect unless the hearing examiner finds that it is not reasonably related to any of the following:
(a) The crime of conviction;
(b) The offender's risk of reoffending; or
(c) The safety of the community.
(6) An offender released by the board under RCW 9.95.420 shall be subject to the supervision of the department until the expiration of the maximum term of the sentence. The department shall monitor the offender's compliance with conditions of community custody imposed by the court, department, or board, and promptly report any violations to the board. Any violation of conditions of community custody established or modified by the board shall be subject to the provisions of RCW 9.95.425 through 9.95.440.
(7) If the department finds that an emergency exists requiring the immediate imposition of conditions of release in addition to those set by the board under RCW 9.95.420 and subsection (1) of this section in order to prevent the offender from committing a crime, the department may impose additional conditions. The department may not impose conditions that are contrary to those set by the board or the court and may not contravene or decrease court-imposed or board-imposed conditions. Conditions imposed under this subsection shall take effect immediately after notice to the offender by personal service, but shall not remain in effect longer than seven working days unless approved by the board under subsection (1) of this section within seven working days.
[2001 2nd sp.s. c 12 § 304.]
Intent -- Severability -- Effective dates -- 2001 2nd sp.s. c 12: See notes following RCW 71.09.250.
Application -- 2001 2nd sp.s. c 12 §§ 301-363: See note following RCW 9.94A.030.
|Courts | Organizations | News | Opinions | Rules | Forms | Directory | Library|
|Back to Top | Privacy and Disclaimer Notices|