Chapter 9.94A RCW
(1) An offender who is not a persistent offender shall be sentenced under this section if the offender:
(a) Is convicted of:
(i) Rape in the first degree, rape in the second degree, rape of a child in the first degree, child molestation in the first degree, rape of a child in the second degree, or indecent liberties by forcible compulsion;
(ii) Any of the following offenses with a finding of sexual motivation: Murder in the first degree, murder in the second degree, homicide by abuse, kidnapping in the first degree, kidnapping in the second degree, assault in the first degree, assault in the second degree, assault of a child in the first degree, or burglary in the first degree; or
(iii) An attempt to commit any crime listed in this subsection (1)(a); committed on or after September 1, 2001; or
(b) Has a prior conviction for an offense listed in RCW 9.94A.030(33)(b), and is convicted of any sex offense which was committed after September 1, 2001.
For purposes of this subsection (1)(b), failure to register is not a sex offense.
(2) An offender convicted of rape of a child in the first or second degree or child molestation in the first degree who was seventeen years of age or younger at the time of the offense shall not be sentenced under this section.
(3) Upon a finding that the offender is subject to sentencing under this section, the court shall impose a sentence to a maximum term consisting of the statutory maximum sentence for the offense and a minimum term either within the standard sentence range for the offense, or outside the standard sentence range pursuant to RCW 9.94A.535, if the offender is otherwise eligible for such a sentence.
(4) A person sentenced under subsection (3) of this section shall serve the sentence in a facility or institution operated, or utilized under contract, by the state.
(5) When a court sentences a person to the custody of the department under this section, the court shall, in addition to the other terms of the sentence, sentence the offender to community custody under the supervision of the department and the authority of the board for any period of time the person is released from total confinement before the expiration of the maximum sentence.
(6)(a) Unless a condition is waived by the court, the conditions of community custody shall include those provided for in RCW 9.94A.700(4). The conditions may also include those provided for in RCW 9.94A.700(5). The court may also order the offender to participate in rehabilitative programs or otherwise perform affirmative conduct reasonably related to the circumstances of the offense, the offender's risk of reoffending, or the safety of the community, and the department and the board shall enforce such conditions pursuant to RCW 9.94A.713, 9.95.425, and 9.95.430.
(b) As part of any sentence under this section, the court shall also require the offender to comply with any conditions imposed by the board under RCW 9.94A.713 and 9.95.420 through 9.95.435.
[2005 c 436 § 2; 2004 c 176 §3; 2001 2nd sp.s. c 12 § 303.]
Intent -- Severability -- Effective dates -- 2001 2nd sp.s. c 12: See notes following RCW 71.09.250.
Application -- 2001 2nd sp.s. c 12 §§ 301-363: See note following RCW 9.94A.030.
|Courts | Organizations | News | Opinions | Rules | Forms | Directory | Library|
|Back to Top | Privacy and Disclaimer Notices|