9.94A.670  <<  TOC  >> 9.94A.685

Chapter 9.94A RCW
Sentencing Reform Act of 1981
Applicable to Crimes Committed From May 11, 2009 - July 25, 2009


Alternatives to total confinement.

Alternatives to total confinement are available for offenders with sentences of one year or less. These alternatives include the following sentence conditions that the court may order as substitutes for total confinement:

     (1) One day of partial confinement may be substituted for one day of total confinement;

     (2) In addition, for offenders convicted of nonviolent offenses only, eight hours of community restitution may be substituted for one day of total confinement, with a maximum conversion limit of two hundred forty hours or thirty days. Community restitution hours must be completed within the period of community supervision or a time period specified by the court, which shall not exceed twenty-four months, pursuant to a schedule determined by the department; and

     (3) For offenders convicted of nonviolent and nonsex offenses, the court may authorize county jails to convert jail confinement to an available county supervised community option and may require the offender to perform affirmative conduct pursuant to RCW 9.94A.607.

     For sentences of nonviolent offenders for one year or less, the court shall consider and give priority to available alternatives to total confinement and shall state its reasons in writing on the judgment and sentence form if the alternatives are not used.

[2002 c 175 § 12; 1999 c 197 § 6. Prior: 1988 c 157 § 4; 1988 c 155 § 3; 1984 c 209 § 21; 1983 c 115 § 9. Formerly RCW 9.94A.380.]


     Effective date -- 2002 c 175: See note following RCW 7.80.130.

     Severability -- 1999 c 197: See note following RCW 9.94A.030.

     Application -- 1988 c 157: See note following RCW 9.94A.030.

     Effective dates -- 1984 c 209: See note following RCW 9.94A.030.

9.94A.670  <<  TOC  >> 9.94A.685
  • Connect with us
  • Find us on Facebook
  • Follow us on Twitter
  • Watch our YouTube Channel
  • Use one of our RSS Feeds
For Washington State laws, visit the Washington State Legislature