Chapter 9.94A RCW
No person serving a sentence imposed pursuant to this chapter shall leave the confines of the correctional facility or be released prior to the expiration of the sentence except as follows:
(1) The terms of the sentence may be reduced by earned early release time in accordance with procedures developed and promulgated by the department. The earned early release time shall be for good behavior and good performance, as determined by the department. In no case shall the aggregate earned early release time exceed one-third of the sentence.
(2) An offender may leave a correctional facility pursuant to an authorized furlough or leave of absence. In addition, offenders may leave a correctional facility when in the custody of a corrections officer or officers;
(3) The governor, upon recommendation from the clemency and pardons board, may grant an extraordinary release for reasons of serious health problems, senility, advanced age, extraordinary meritorious acts, or other extraordinary circumstances;
(4) If the sentence of confinement is in excess of twelve months but not in excess of three years, no more than the final three months of the sentence may be served in partial confinement designed to aid the offender in finding work and reestablishing him or herself in the community. If the sentence of confinement is in excess of three years, no more than the final six months of the sentence may be served in partial confinement;
(5) The governor may pardon any offender;
(6) The department of corrections may release an offender from confinement any time within ten days before a release date calculated under this section; and
(7) An offender may leave a correctional facility prior to completion of his sentence if the sentence has been reduced as provided in RCW 9.94A.160.
[1984 c 209 § 8; 1982 c 192 § 6; 1981 c 137 § 15. Recodified in 2001 as RCW 9.94A.728.]
Effective dates -- 1984 c 209: See note following RCW 9.94A.030.
Effective date -- 1981 c 137: See RCW 9.94A.905.
|Courts | Organizations | News | Opinions | Rules | Forms | Directory | Library|
|Back to Top | Privacy and Disclaimer Notices|