Caseloads of the Courts of Washington
Court of Appeals
|Opinion Terminating Review||337||159||496||9||16||25||521|
|Order Terminating Review||28||20||48||332||1||333||381|
|Decided on Merits||15||43||58||0||3||3||61|
|Review Not Accepted||3||6||9||1||55||56||65|
|Ruling Terminating Review||71||183||254||54||93||147||401|
|PENDING AT YEAR END (1)|
|Brief Not Filed||276||190||466||69||45||114||580|
|Appellant Brief Filed||75||43||118||14||2||16||134|
|Respondent Brief Filed||178||155||333||79||13||92||425|
|Set for Commissioners' Calendar||7||7||14||0||8||8||22|
|Ruling Referred to Panel||13||2||15||1||0||1||16|
|Set for Oral Argument (2)||56||32||88||2||3||5||93|
|Total Awaiting Hearing||609||438||1,047||171||72||243||1,290|
|Opinion/Order in Process||66||38||104||4||5||9||113|
|Total Pending Decision||675||476||1,151||175||77||252||1,403|
|Opinion Terminating Review||350||148||498||10||16||26||524|
|Order Terminating Review||41||24||65||268||1||269||334|
|Ruling Terminating Review||65||178||243||53||99||152||395|
|Other Decision Terminating Review (3)||0||0||0||1||1||1|
(1) As a result of the recent transition to the new Appellate Court Records and Data System(ACORDS-II), measurement of resolution types and the various stages of pending caseload are not comparable to measurements for prior years. Extreme caution should be used in interpreting 2003 and future activity relative to that shown for prior years.
(2) Set for Oral Argument counts are influenced by procedural differences among divisions in setting cases. Division III, due to hearings in multiple locations, often delays the setting of cases until there are sufficient numbers to warrant travel, but cases are usually set only six weeks out.
(3) Includes completions for secondary cases, which are those consolidated with a primary case and disposed by mandate/certificate of finality entered in the primary case.
(4) To alleviate case congestion, Division II transferred 50 cases in 2009 and 45 cases in 2010 (which would otherwise have been heard in Division II) to Division I for preparation of opinions and mandates. A transferred resolution appears for each of these cases in Division II figures. Each transferred case is included in filing counts in both divisions. The opinions for those transferred cases are included in Division I figures, only.
(5) As of 2010, Resolution counts have been updated to report only primary case resolutions. Secondary case resolutions have been excluded from all of the resolution counts reported.
|Courts | Organizations | News | Opinions | Rules | Forms | Directory | Library|
|Back to Top | Privacy and Disclaimer Notices|